- Township
Services - Parks and
Recreation - Culture and
Community - Building and
Development - Town
Hall
Updated: April 30, 2026
Alert Level:medium
Culture and Community
This plaque was added in 2023, in partnership with the Russell and District Historical Society. It is located on the side of the St-Jacques Bridge in Embrun, ON.
The Castor River divides the village and parish of Embrun into two parts. While the section on the north side of the river was probably the first to develop, the southern part is also very old. Already on an 1862 map, dwellings can be seen scattered along row St-Jacques and on the south bank of the river. With the vast majority of shops and services located on the north side, it was necessary to link the two banks of the Castor very early on in order to provide equitable service to the entire parish population.
The oldest bridge in the parish is the row St-Jacques bridge, known to all as the “village bridge”. However, it is impossible to trace its origins. By 1896, a bridge had already been built here, but it was certainly not the first.
According to the 1902 village plan, a wooden bridge spanned the river. On April 6, 1947, the iron bridge erected opposite the church around 1907 was swept away by the waters of the Castor River, once again dividing the village into two sections. The water current carried the 100-foot bridge some 900 feet downstream. In his personal journal, Pierre C. Bruyère states that workers were busy building a new bridge on wooden trestles at that time. The new $65,000 bridge was inaugurated the following summer. The new bridge, built in the wake of this disaster, served the village until 1976, when it was replaced by the present-day bridge.


717 Notre-Dame St, Embrun ON K0A 1W1
Call: 613-443-3066
Contact Us
Departmental Directory
© 2026 Municipalité de Russell Township
© 2026 Municipalité de Russell Township