Frequently Asked Questions

Can I have a fire pit / camp fire in my yard?

Yes, fire pits and camp fires are allowed in Russell Township. Here are the requirements according to our by-law 102-2013 :

Part 5 - Camp Fires

5.1 A permit is not required for a camp fire providing that the campfire is for;

(i) keeping warm

(ii) cooking food

(iii) recreational enjoyment

5.2 No person shall make a camp fire that is;

(i) larger than 0.5 cubic meter

(ii) not contained so as to prevent the spreading of the fire

(iii) causing a nuisance to neighboring property due to the smoke

(iv) causing a decrease in visibility on any highway or roadway due to smoke

(v) closer than 4.5 meters from any side lot line or rear lot line, from other combustible material, structure, brush or wooden area

(vi) within the portion of a yard that is the front or side yard

(vii) not supervised by a person of at least eighteen (18) years of age from the time of ignition until completely extinguished.

Please consult the full by-law for all the details. 

Can I attend council meetings?

Yes.  Check out our calendar of events for the next meeting.

Can I make a presentation to council?

Yes you can. Please visit the Applications, Forms, Licenses and Permits page and select Delegation Request for more information.

Do I need a permit to build, put up a fence, install a pool, etc.?

Yes you do, please visit the Permits page for more information.

Do you have summer camps?

We have 5 summer camps.

  • Camp Moustique: French camp in Embrun for children 4-8 years of age.
  • Camp Kaboum: French camp in Embrun for children 9-13 years of age.
  • Camp Sunshine: English camp in Russell for children 4-6 years of age.
  • Camp Lightning: English camp in Russell for children 7-9 years of age.
  • Camp Extreme: English camp in Russell for children 10-13 years of age.

For more information, please visit the Activities and Programs page, or contact us by email.

How can I detect a water leak?

Follow the steps of How to check for leaks on the Water and Sewer page.

How can I get access to community grants?

You must meet the requirements and formally apply for a grant. For the application form and more information, visit the Community Grants and Contributions Program page. 

How can I pay for my water/sewer bill?

You can pay your water bill in person at the Town Hall, only check or Debit Card are accepted.

You may also choose to make online water payments through your bank. Different search criteria exists for different institutions but mostly with a credit card, Interact Online or Visa Debit you may do so at any personal or public internet access point.

Please visit the Payments page for more information.

Questions regarding my water and sewer bill?

Please visit the Water & Sewer page or call the Township of Russell at 613-443-3066 ext. 2309. Please have your service address and the water account number listed on your bill available when calling.

How can I rent a hall?

We have many halls to rent depending on your occasion. Please visit the Hall Rentals page to help you decide.

How can I winterize my mailbox?

How do I register for programs?

You can register online with our online registration system.

For more information, please contact us by email.

How do I replace a culvert?

You must fill out the Work Approval Form and return it to the Public Works Department via email. Please visit the Applications, Forms, Licenses and Permits page for more information.

How often will I receive my water and sewer bill?

Water and sewer bills are sent every three months. Readings are done between the 13-15th of March, June, September and December.

I’m a new resident. What should I know?

There is a lot you should know as a new resident, and it is all on the I’m New Page, go check it out! 

Is there a fire ban?

Check out the news banner at the bottom of the home page for that latest updates including fire bans.

Is there any ice time available to rent?

For available ice time, please visit the Arenas & Skating page or contact us at 613 443-9272 or by email.

When can I register for programs?

If you register online, you can register 24/7. That’s the beauty of the system.

We also have in-person registration nights. They will be posted on our website on the Activities & Programs page and in our seasonal program guide.

When do I need to use garbage tags?

You are allowed 1 free bag or garbage can per week (no tag required). Any additional bags or container must have a holographic tag. Garbage bags or cans must not exceed 125 litres (28 gallons) or 50 lbs (23 kg).

Points of sales for holographic tags:

  • Town Hall, 717 Notre-Dame, Embrun
  • Russell Library, 1053 Concession, Russell
  • Embrun Library, 1215 St-Augustin, Embrun
  • Pronto R J's Convenience store, 1119 Concession, Russell
  • Russell Pharmacy, 110 Craig, Russell
  • Pierre & fils, 951 Notre-Dame, Embrun

Visit the garbage and recycle page for more information.

When do your programs come out?

Our recreation guide comes out in January, April and September of each year whether in paper form or online. You can find the latest one on the Activities & Programs page.

When is the bowling alley open?

The bowling alley is open from September to May.

For a full schedule and hours of operation, please visit our Bowling page. 

When is the pool open?

The pool is open in July and August of every year.

Click here for our pool schedule

When will my garbage be picked up?

That depends on where you live, check the collection maps on the Garbage and Recycling page.

Where can I bring hazardous waste like paint cans?

The Township of Russell holds an annual event at the municipal garage on the first Saturday of May. You can consult to find other locations.

Where can I dispose of my old batteries?

At the Township of Russell Town Hall or Barry's Home Hardware at 120 Craig St, Russell.

Restrictions apply. Please call Barry's Home Hardware at 613-445-2171 before dropping off your items.

Where can I get a lottery license?

At the Township of Russell Town Hall. Please visit the Applications, Forms, Licenses and Permits page and select Lottery License for more information. 

Where can I get a marriage license?

At the Township of Russell Town Hall. Please visit the Applications, Forms, Licenses and Permits page and select Marriage License Application Form for more information. 

Where can I get a recycle bin?

At the Russell Township Town Hall. If you have a broken recycling bin that has Township of Russell written on it, it can be replaced for free. To buy a new recycling bin, it costs 7$.  

Who do I call before I dig?

Contact ON1Call first to get a locate so you can dig safely. Phone: 1-800-400-2255.